Monday 10 September 2012

Writing Frenzy (group project)



How possibly
Can the Prince of Peace
Calm all the storms and tempests
In this dispensation down?
 
How,
We ask,
Can this bitter root
Of eternal lies
Be uprooted from our backyards?
 
How long
Must we drink
From the pot of ignorance
While dark clouds form
Above our humble abode?
 
How long
Shall the thirsty palm wine tapper
Be denied a drink
From his own calabash?

The coal pot
Now fears its own ash
At night,
I feel the might of a clear mood
Coming from a shattered sight
 
The promise
Of storm-less skies
Calls me ever on
Toward the horizon
Where my hopes are shattered,
The future made bleak
And my bio-root threatened
 
My search is nearing a sad end
My dreams spiral down into a dark ravine
These dreams
Leave me eating my fufu with fire
 
The far-off sight
Of the stilled adukuro mu nsuo
Leaves my throat calling for help
A call to the ancestors
Who masticate serenity
In their shrine

We Call
We Cry
We Plead
 
Give us reason
 
Give us...
 
Peace

2 comments: