Thursday 27 September 2012

BEASTS. By: Hannah Amma Konadu Anarfi




Once upon a time,
The rhythm of our delicately merged hearts
Beating… skipping… racing…
When for the first time our eyes met
Was the music we knew
The only tune we could dance to.

Once upon a time,
We were both human.

But now these hands of mine,
Once innocent and fragile,
Are trembling.

This tired head now holds too much evil
Too heavy for my heart to bear
So it fell out as I journeyed here, heartless!

My tears have frozen midway down my cheeks.
For the melody in your heart has turned discordant
To you, I’ve become a lowly servant
And my mind with deep loathing, leaks.

You have made pain a constant companion
In this damned body of mine

The desire to spill blood
Your blood
Is like large flesh-eating termites
Crawling up my every opening
Feasting greedily on my insides
Dear Lord!
What is happenning?

Must I stay like this forever
Dining with the very image of my fears?

Must I, remain flat-faced on the floor
Prostrate before the beast you have now become?

No!

A year of hapiness with you
Was all I had.
Then you took as a mistress
That tall, elegantly shaped
Intoxicating green bottle!

Then you made me
Your whore
Your laundry basket
Your refuse bin.
You practiced your amateur boxing
On my belly;
Swollen with a son-
Our son.
Three in a row
You boxed out prematurely.
The last cost me my womb.
You sucked the human out of me!
And now…
Now
We are both beasts.

So let us waltz towards your grave, my beast.
All through our steps recalling
Those early nights you spent with me.
You once laughed with me
But now we have taken poison together
Bitter-sweet poison, together.
So let us go
Let’s go dance on your shiny marble grave.

3 comments:

  1. Well said and heard, wish i could have a feel of dramatization in it as in it bn acted on stage. by the way. what really inspired you to put down this piece

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, my blood? hmm, A well captured piece. But how many men have been able to transmogrified their women, with their behaviour into beasts and the vice versa? Because undoubtedly, women complain more than men in terms of being bullied. Is it not true? How I wish a man could also respond to this wonderful piece. O.K Bright

    ReplyDelete
  3. See me in chambers if you want to know what inspired me. lol

    Yeah, i challenge one of you guys to give me a response to this!

    ReplyDelete